Lip Augmentation and Injections
Cosmetic surgeons have practiced lip augmentation (also known as lip enlargement or lip enhancement) since the 1960s. However, the popularity of the surgery has skyrocketed in recent years. The surgical techniques and materials have improved, leading to better results and overall safety of the lip augmentation procedure. Unlike some plastic surgery procedures, nearly anyone can be a candidate for lip augmentation. In addition, patients choose lip-enhancement procedures not only to enlarge their lips but also to correct asymmetries or crookedness.
At Gabbay Plastic Surgery, we focus on delivering personalized treatments to every patient. Our full suite of cosmetic procedures can be tailored to match your unique goals and aesthetic. Call us today to learn more about lip augmentation and our other procedures.
What Is Lip Augmentation For?
Lip enhancement procedures can resolve problems in the lip region, including:
- Irregular Border: The right side of the upper or lower lip (or both lips) is larger or smaller than the left side.
- Thin, Flat Lips: A result of genetics and aging.
- Insufficient Upper Lip: Augmentation can be performed on the upper lip. And a surgical procedure called a “lip lift” can be combined with lip augmentation to maximize results.
- Insufficient Bottom Lip: Although rare, the lower lip may be significantly thinner than the upper lip.
- Macrochelia (overly prominent lips): Although full lips are currently desirable, excessively prominent lips may interfere with oral function.
- High Lip Line (gummy smile): The smiles of patients with a high lip line expose too much gum tissue. Lip surgery can rectify this problem.
- Lip Lines: Fine lines around the mouth, resulting from natural aging.
Lip enhancement treatments at our Beverly Hills plastic surgery are relatively quick. The procedure is a quick way to achieve the plumper, more symmetrical lips you desire. With today’s technology, lip augmentation is a comfortable, safe, and predictable procedure that Dr. Gabbay will customize to meet your individual needs and aesthetic goals.
Lip Augmentation Options
There are many options to consider when deciding to undergo lip augmentation surgery. Dr. Gabbay will go over all of these options with you during your consultation, ensuring that you select the best option for your specific aesthetic goals. During the lip augmentation procedure, lips are injected with collagen or with the patient’s own fat. If you choose fat, it will have been transferred from another region of the body. Both liquid collagen and fat are absorbed by the body over time. So repeat treatments will be necessary to maintain the results.
Lip augmentation procedures can vary significantly, depending on your plan. Some might be a simple 20-minute office visit, requiring no anesthesia or recovery time. But a more complex surgical procedure may require general anesthesia and a longer recovery time.
No matter the cause, if you are unhappy with how your lips look, it may be time to consider lip enhancement. If you would like more information about lip augmentation surgery, please contact us today. We will be happy to answer any and all of your questions and schedule an initial, complimentary consultation with Dr. Gabbay.
Before & After Photos
Importance of Lips
Your lips are a tactile organ with an essential role in human anatomy and function. The lips are responsible for the intake of food and fluids, facial expression, and speech enunciation. Age, sun exposure, personal habits (such as cigarette smoking), and the pull of gravity cause lip changes. Specifically, the philtral columns can change. As a result, vertical lip lines become noticeable, and lip volume diminishes.
The lips swell easily when bruised, hit, or cut. Furthermore, the soft tissue of the lips is constantly subjected to stress due to high muscle activity and pressure from the environment. The lip mucosa does not retain water in the same way other skin tissue does, making it susceptible to dehydration. Unlike your eyes and nose, your lips have no solid structure to attach to. This makes your lips the most variable feature on your face, and a very delicate area to treat.
The areas of the lip that can be enhanced include:
- The Vermillion Border: This is the border between the white and red parts of your lips. It is the most common area treated for lip augmentation. By enhancing this area, it is possible to define the lips and make them more distinct.
- Cupid’s Bow: This “V-shaped” area in the center of your upper lip can be enhanced to make the V more pronounced. If augmentation is performed combined with the philtrum, it can improve the overall shape of the upper lip.
- Vertical Lip Lines: Diminishing vertical lip lines creates a more youthful lip appearance.
- Oral Commissures: These are located in the corners of your mouth. Filling this area turns the corners of the lips up, creating a more pleasing appearance.
- Philtrum: This consists of the two lines in the center of your upper lip that connect to the nose. By enhancing this “double-ridge,” it is possible to give the upper lip more shape and curve.
IS LIP AUGMENTATION RIGHT FOR YOU?
Unlike many other procedures, nearly anyone can be a candidate for lip augmentation. Many patients choose lip-enhancement procedures not only to enlarge their lips but also to correct lip asymmetries or crookedness. Lip enhancement treatments at Gabbay Plastic Surgery are a relatively quick and simple way to get the plumper, more attractive lips you desire.
During your consultation, Dr. Gabbay will examine your lips, fat distribution, and facial anatomy. Using this, he can determine if lip augmentation is right for you. He will look at all your facial features when determining what lip size and shape would best suit your individual face.
You should arrive at your consultation prepared to:
- Discuss your medical history. This includes information about:
- Any medical conditions you may have
- Allergies (especially important)
- Previous surgeries
- Current medications you are currently taking
- Go over your concerns.
- Describe what you want to change about your lips.
With the full picture, Dr. Gabbay can determine which procedure would best match your appearance goals.
Temporary Lip Injections
The most common type of lip enhancement is injectable filler. There are numerous types of injectable fillers. Many work by stimulating collagen to plump up the injected area, including:
- And more
Temporary injectable fillers last from a few weeks to over one year, depending on the product used.
Depending on the extent of your treatment, the process can last between 15-60 minutes. During the procedure, we inject the dermal filler with a syringe into the dermis at several points along the targeted area. After the injections, the volume beneath your skin will increase, restoring a more youthful appearance.
Fat Transfer Lip Augmentation
We also offer fat transfer lip augmentation. During this treatment, Dr. Gabbay will withdraw the fat from a discreetly located donor area of your body using a syringe. Common donor areas include the stomach or buttocks. The extracted fat is processed by simple centrifugation before re-injection into your lip area. The duration of the fat injections varies significantly and can be long-lasting or permanent.
Permanent Lip Enhancements
If you want permanent lip enhancement, Dr. Gabbay offers lip implant surgery. The procedure generally lasts 30-120 minutes. The implants he uses are composed of saline or silicone. This means they cannot rupture, deflate, or degrade over time. The implants are available in a variety of diameters and lengths to create customized results.
Lip implant surgery is more invasive than lip augmentation with injectable fillers. As such, local anesthesia with IV sedation is the typically preferred anesthesia method. For this procedure, Dr. Gabbay will make a total of four incisions at each corner of your mouth. He then inserts the implant into the lip through the incisions. Once everything is in place, he sutures the incisions closed with dissolvable sutures and dresses the wounds.
Lip Implant Benefits
- Do not shrink
- Are never absorbed into the body
- Never shift in place.
Although they are designed to be permanent, lip implants can be removed if your preferences change over time.
RECOVERING FROM LIP AUGMENTATION
Most non-surgical lip augmentations are considered a “lunchtime” procedure. In other words, you can resume your normal routine right after your treatment. However, you may experience some swelling and bruising, which can last an average of 3-7 days.
Surgical lip augmentation procedures require 1-2 days off work. Also, you can expect 2-3 days away from exercise and vigorous physical activity. Temporary swelling, bruising, and numbness are usually resolved within a week. However, some residual swelling may last several weeks.
Lip movement should be limited for the first week following surgery. That includes including talking, chewing, kissing, and laughing. Keeping your head elevated during recovery will minimize swelling, as will icing your lips the first 48 hours after surgery.
Although lip augmentation is considered a very safe procedure, potential complications can occur.
Schedule Your Consultation
Take the first step to enhanced lips today and schedule your consultation. Your first meeting with Dr. Gabbay will be all about your situation and unique goals. From start to finish, Gabbay Plastic Surgery in Beverly Hills fully tailors every aspect of your lip augmentation plan to match your expectations and needs. Call us today to get started on your personalized cosmetic journey